Jul 31, 2007

The Selling of the President


Landon and I are in San Francisco right now for a few days and yesterday when we were riding the subway back to our hotel I finished a fabulous book that I think eveyone should read.  It's called "The Selling of the President" by Joe McGinniss.   McGinniss was a reporter that was close to the Nixon campaign of 1968 and the book shows how Nixon was basically sold to the American public as a product.  It is a harsh critique of campaigns and, in my opinion, an even harsher critique of the public's willingness to be sold.  McGinniss is a fabulous writer and the book read more like a novel than anything.  It was fast-paced and easy to read.  

Even though it was written more than 30 years ago, it is completely relevant today and I am glad I read it before this upcoming campaign because it has made me more aware of political advertising vs. political policy and the disconnect between the two.  I would highly recommend it (and in fact am forcing Landon to read it). 

2 comments:

Just Katy said...

I'll try to pick it up. I'm trying to get ready for this up coming election too. Thanks for the suggestion. Democracy only works with informed citizens.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the recommendation, I am almost finished with the American Women one, it's fabulous!