Jan 19, 2011

Higher Education

On Thursday morning I was on my way to pick up Aiden's friend and drop them both off at preschool when my mom called.  She said that Condoleeza Rice was speaking at BYU and she would be happy to help me watch my kids if I wanted to join her (she's finishing up her degree at BYU).  So I dropped off Aiden's friend at preschool and headed down to Provo.  I was feeling a little guilty about having Aiden miss preschool, but figured that listening (or at least seeing) a former Secretary of State was a much better education.  It was slightly successful because he and Annie can still tell me her name if I ask. Listening to her was such a nice change of pace for me.  My kids just aren't that eloquent.  I don't agree with all of her policies but I have a lot of respect for her and liked mulling her ideas around in my own head. 
Aiden took this lovely picture.
After the speech and Q&A session, I rewarded my kids for their awesome (!) behavior by taking them to the Bean Museum.  This museum is the most underrated and overlooked thing at BYU.  We all loved seeing  the animals, butterflies, insects, etc.,  Who knew that their were so many species of deer-like animals?  Annie walked around saying, "Look at all these animals!!" for about thirty minutes straight.

3 comments:

Amy McArthur said...

Awesome! A year and a half ago we went to DC with our kids and the whole time we were walking through the Natural History Museum Emma kept asking, "Is it dead?" and "Did it die?". Seriously, the ENTIRE time. About every 90 seconds.
Sometimes I imagine us living closer together, Sarah. Think of all the good times we'd have taking our kids to the Bean Museum, and the creamery.... hmmm... maybe one day.

Matthew and Hailey said...

The Bean Museum is great! I am sure between the forum and the trip to the museum Aiden received more than he would have in preschool that day.

Roger said...

I am jealous.