Jun 20, 2011

Prosciutto pizza. Plus one more.

Have I already shared this recipe with you yet?  If not, I should have.  It is my favorite pizza recipe ever.  This time around I tried making it on the grill.  Kind of.  I half-baked the dough in the oven first.  After I topped them, I threw them on the grill for the final baking/cheese melting. So good. So good.

I think I'm going to whip up a collection of pizzas for my next BBQ.  I can assemble them early in the day and throw them on the grill when the guests arrive. 


Prosciutto & Caramelized Onion Pizza
Adapted from the Pioneer Woman 


Dough:
The same dough I use for rolls, bread, pita, etc.,  Found here.

Heat the oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees.  Just pull the dough out of the fridge.  Grab a grapefruit-sized ball, spread or roll it thin.  If it is acting stubborn, let the dough rest for five minutes then handle it again. Place on a hot pizza stone in the oven and bake for five minutes.  Just until it is firm, but not necessarily cooked through. You can either top it right away or freeze to use later.

Topping
1 red onion sliced thinly
1 T brown sugar
Prosciutto
Mozzarella Cheese (fresh is best, but not necessary)
Arugula

lightly oil a frying pan.  Sautee the onion and brown sugar until soft and sweet, about five minutes.   Spread on the crust.  Spread a layer of Mozzarella cheese. Top with prosciutto torn in thin strips.  Place in the oven for another five to ten minutes until melty.  Or, if you want to be impressive, grill it. Heat the grill to high.  When it is super hot, turn off one of the burners.  Place the pizza on the off-burners so it cooks on indirect heat.  Close the lid, pull it off once the cheese is melted and crust is brown.  Top with fresh arugula just before serving. 


Rosemary Potato Pizza
From me

Two small potatoes
1 t Rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
Mozzarella cheese
Feta or goat cheese
1 egg

Thinly slice two small red potatoes.  Sautee in a bit of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and rosemary.    Next time I do it, I'll add a little bit of cayenne for some kick. Cook until barely soft.  Spread on a lightly oiled crust.  Top with the cheese.  Finish baking.  To take the pizza up a notch, crack an egg on top of the pizza about two minutes before it is done.  Take it out when the cheese is melted and the egg whites are just cooked, but yoke is still runny. 

I realize that I have probably lost many of you with the addition of a runny egg, but it is so good.  I would always get pizza like this in France, delicious. A whole continent of people eats pizza this way and they have survived. 

 

2 comments:

Carli and Jeremy said...

I love that prosciutto pizza! I will be making it soon!

Alicia said...

Um, they both look absolutely delicious. I love getting recipes from you, I just wish I was as good at making pizza. Will you please invite me to your next BBQ? Thank you.

Alicia