Sep 12, 2011

Cloth Diapers



I have always wanted to try cloth diapers and I finally gave it a try.  I have to admit, I love it!  I love that I'm not spending money on something I'm just going to throw away, I love that I'm being nice to the earth, I love that it is healthier for my little baby's bottom. It was so much easier than I thought.  The washing isn't difficult and they look absolutely adorable...

That's a lie.  That is the blog post I dreamed of writing when I tried cloth diapering a couple weeks ago.  But, truth is, I hated every minute of it.  I hated the time it took to change a diaper, I hated the clean up, I hated the laundry, I hated the hassle.  Truly, a bad experience.  Except they were very cute.  That part was true.  And now that cuteness is stored away in our emergency kit.  Heaven help me if we have an emergency and I'm required to use them. 


9 comments:

laura said...

Hahaha!
You had me going. I LOVE the earth, and I LOVE my babies buns. But, I also love being able to thow poop away with the flick of a wrist into a trash can(vs. scrubbing/bleaching/washing/folding). But, I do recycle. And unplug things when they are not in use. So, I'm okay with myself.

Matthew and Hailey said...

I have thought about using cloth diapers before. I am glad you shared your experience so I will not be tempted to try them any time soon.

Amy McArthur said...

I was about to disown you as a cousin. Instead, I'm going to thank you for the warning.... not that I needed it. Next time you think about doing something crazy like that, give me a call. I'll talk you out of it.

Margie B said...

Ok, having done 3 children in cloth diapers, I was totally blown away by the start of your post. I kept thinking "what? . . . how?. . . are you kidding?" :-) It made so much more sense to read the second half. Whew, I was afraid that I might be losing my sanity! :-)

K Cummings said...

I know the feeling.

But here's a hopeful article:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/09/knowaste-turns-dirty-diapers-to-roofing-material.php?campaign=th_rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+treehuggersite+%28Treehugger%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Roger said...

I am wondering how much the experiment cost - diapers, pins, plastic pants.

Carli and Jeremy said...

I left a comment the other day, apparently it didn't work. But you had me worried, I thought we had a long conversation all about how much you hated cloth diapers! Thank goodness you haven't changed your mind so I still can take your word for it when the time comes.

Katie Hall said...

Hahaha! Oh man, thank you for that. What kind were you trying? All my friends do cloth diapering so I'm going to give it a go using gdiapers. they have the option to use disposable inserts which I think are a good way to try the idea of cloth diapering without gettin' all crazy. it's refreshing to hear/read someone finally say how ridiculous cloth diapering can be.

Kristen said...

I JUST called Dan a few hours ago to tell him that I hate cloth diapers. (I'm watching my niece who wears them. She leaks through all the time! Pointless.)