May 23, 2013

Arches

     After this last weekend in Moab, I am a convert to camping vacations.  First, let me say that we didn't camp in the true sense of the word.  We stayed in a "cabin" of sorts at the local KOA.  All it had was electricity and beds- we still had to use the campground toilet, cook outside, etc.,  But we weren't in a tent.  And I have no regrets about that.  Tent-camping in Moab is a joke, what with the lack of trees.  Anyway, for our family of six, the cabin was the way to go.  Plus, the KOA had the most old-school miniature golf that Aiden and Annie absolutely loved.  Would we stay there again- yes.

Back to the reason I'm converted to camping vacations.  Simply put, my kids were in heaven.  I didn't have to stress about them being too loud in a hotel or getting lost in a crowd.  I didn't worry about them getting dirty or misbehaving in a restaurant.  It was just so fun to spend a couple days saying "yes" to them.  "Yes, you can bang the grill with sticks."  "Yes, you can do a somersault in the sand." "Yes you can run as long and far as you want."  "Yes, I will read another page of the BFG to you."  "Yes, you can have more taffy." Etc., etc., Camping vacations are the vacations of "Yes".  And it was so refreshing.  Yesterday after we got home we were rushing between preschool graduations, piano lessons, dance, etc., and I was back to saying "NO!" and "come back!" and "we have to leave NOW". I missed saying yes.

Here are a few pictures of our little slice of heaven.  Oh, and did I mention it was 75 degrees?  We couldn't have planned it better.

Here is the crew:


 Annie: Took on the worried older sister role.  She was constantly concerned about everyone's safety.  Especially near drop-offs. Adorable.
 Aiden: Was completely at home scrambling up red rock.  Loved schlepping around his "Explorer Pack" that we checked out from the visitors center.
 Landon: Was a trooper considering he was recovering from his marathon that he ran in the day before we left.  He also spent a good amount of time fighting off work.
 Lizard: Seriously.
Norah: Great little hiker.  Incredibly enthusiastic about the whole thing.  Constantly had a handful of pebbles in her pockets.  

The Campground: 

 BFFs.
 When I told her that if she kept kicking dirt and hitting things she wouldn't get a treat.  She told me that she didn't want a treat, and would rather keep kicking.
 Fuzziest hair in the world.
 And the prettiest eyes.
 We couldn't find our griddle for the fire, so we pulled out the electric griddle.  One of the perks of a "camping cabin".
 I don't know why camping breakfast pictures make me so happy.  The puffy faces, red noses, messy hair.  It's all so perfect.
Hula-hooping during breakfast.  "Yes". 

My brother Mike happens to be living in Moab this summer working as a river guide.  We got to hang out with him one afternoon after he got off the river.  We met up at this amazing park in town that had over 20 musical instruments to play- xylophones, marimbas, tom-toms, bells, kettle drums etc.,  We all loved it. 



My kids love swings as much as I hate them.  Thank goodness Mike was there to give "the death swing" to the kids.

 That evening Mike took us up Negro Bill Canyon for a hike.  Norah pulled this pose.  ?...
 Mike taught Annie the finer points of macro photography.
This was Landon's favorite part of the whole trip. Seeing Mike's apartment. Before you get too jealous, I want to point out that he lives on the top floor of the A-frame.  The place was so un-level that I was dizzy the entire time we were up there.  Bless his wife's heart. (Good luck, Jenn!)

The Hiking

We spent the majority of our time in Arches National Park.  I was amazed at how beautiful it was.  Absolutely gorgeous.  We bypassed the more popular hikes and did Window Arch, Sand Dune Arch, Balanced Rock, and (my favorite) the Broken Arch loop. 

 I was an excellent guide- thanks to the handy dandy books in Aiden's pack.  The park checks out these packs to kids that are full of guidebooks, binoculars, activities, etc.,  It was fantastic.
 Perhaps my favorite picture of the trip.  Baby. Red rock.
 The hikers in front of window arch.
 I taught the kids the fine art of cairn building.  To everyone that will benefit from their trail-marking skills-- you are welcome.
 Classic sleeping baby picture.  Landon was on a conference call during this hike, so I soloed it with the four kids.  Fun times.

Lugging a baby up a sand dune is a great workout. 
 Annie posing with a fine layer of red sand on her from head to toe. You should have seen the bathtub when we got home.
 Landon showing off to Aiden.
 His example paid off.
Norah was TERRIFIED of the ants on the sand.  I found it entertaining to watch her cry and scream.
 Landon saved her from "ALL THE BUDS!!!!"

 Broken Arch.  But Aiden will let you know that it is not actually broken.
 Hard at work on his Jr. Ranger book.  Look at that view!

 Norah also worked hard.
Her hair, the Dora hat.  I'm in love with this girl. 
 Coolest tree of the day.  It took a fair amount of fruit snack to get them through this hike. But it was beautiful.
 Aiden and Annie in a cool little canyon.
We took the little jaunt over to sand dune arch while Landon stayed with the babies.
The end.  We are already planning our next trip down south. 

8 comments:

Sue said...

Looks like a great place to vacation! Thanks for the pictures.

Margie B said...

Whenever I read your blog posts, I seriously want to be one of your kids! Looks like a great time. We love Arches too.

laura said...

Fine. I am sold on Moab. Especially with that KOA! Would you care if we "camped" next to you on your next trip? I LOVE all the photos. The one of Aiden looking in his books, and of Liz with her gorgeous eyes. Such cute kiddos, with such gorgeous scenery. BUt, I will call you out on one picture. THere is NO WAY that NOrah's hair stands up that high on it's own(the breakfast photo). I know you teased that out before the picture!

Katie Hall said...

We camped at that KOA, too! But we were in a tent and it was SO INCREDIBLY windy that it was kind of miserable and I vowed never to go back to Moab. I am, however, in love with KOA's in general - camping at its best!

Carli and Jeremy said...

I am so jealous! This looked wonderful! And I would definitely agree with you on the camping breakfast pictures. It was at that picture that I said out loud, "This looks so fun..." and then read your caption. Must be something about breakfast while camping.

jimchar@comcast.net said...

Wow! Brings back so many memories!! Thanks for all the pictures! But, I can't believe Annie still has that hat! Amazing!!

Kristen and Bill said...

Oh how I miss the red rock...and camping. I've finally admitted in the last year that I hate camping in the east. It's just not fun unless it is early spring or late fall...both of which is severally limited. Thank you for sharing your adventures so I can live vicariously through you!

Alicia said...

Spectacular. Gorgeous. I can't say enough. I loved seeing all of your pictures. It looks like such a nice vacation. We must go. I need to know all your details and tips. One thing I was most amazed by was Norah's hair in that breakfast picture! Whoa!