Jun 26, 2007

Sarah's Summer Picks

Living with the in-laws has obvious perks- free rent, free food, free babysitters, etc.. but, another great thing about living here is that I have had a lot more time to read. So I will enlighten you all with my favorite reads of the summer (the last few months really).

Americas Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines- Gail Collins

This book was absolutely fascinating. It follows the history of American women and how their role in the country has changed over time. It sounds a bit academic but it really was an easy read. It was more like a collection of stories than an academic expose (imagine an accent over the e). While the stories of famous women (Pocahontas, Susan B. Anthony, etc.) were great, my favorite parts were stories about average women and the everyday facts of life- how they cooked, cleaned, changed diapers, etc.








Atonement- Ian McEwan


I actually read this a few months back, but I still think about it so it is going on my list. McEwan is an excellent writer so reading it is a treat. As a plus, the story itself is something you will go to bed thinking about. It is the story of a girl and how her decisions as a child affect her life and the lives of those around her.




The Glass Castle- Jeannette Walls


This is an extraordinary memoir written by a woman who grew up as a modern nomad, going with her parents from run-down house, to run-down house in the southwest. She ends up in West Virginia during jr. high and high school , living in a home with no plumbing and no heat, finally escaping to NYC where she became a writer. It will make you appreciate what you have and make you question what kind of challenges you could overcome.





The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald

If you only read this in ninth grade, it's time you pulled it out again. I read this for my ward book-club and I absolutely loved it. When I read it in school I didn't care either way about it, but reading it again was a fantastic. It's an interesting story and a great look into the 1920's. I was surprised at how appropriate and current this book remains, even though it was written 80 years ago. The characters are interesting, if not likable, and it would be a perfect beach book- full of love affairs, extravagant parties, and-of course- a death or two.




Slide, Already! - Kit Allen
This is my new favorite children's book- I think I mentioned it in an earlier blog. It doesn't really have a great moral, and it isn't exceptionally witty, but it is definitely entertaining. And hey, what is a book if it isn't entertaining? It is the perfect read aloud book for kids who won't sit still for a twenty minute story.

7 comments:

The Olsons said...

I loved the great gatsby and glass castle, a little sad though... I want to get american women, now. You have good taste in books.
It sounds like you guys are enjoying yourselves in Bakersfield.
I just figured out not too long ago, how to see your latest pics.
Have a great summer and let us know if you find your way over to the coast!

Amy said...

I am always looking for a new book to read. I will have to check some of these out!

Alicia said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a good one to get book recommendations from. American Women looks really good. I remember reading The Great Gatsby a long time ago. Slide Already is a must. I'm headed to the library tomorrow. Did you recommend The Red Tent or was that Jessica?

Kristen said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm struggling through "All the King's Men" right now. I borrowed it from my old boss over a year ago and she keeps telling me to keep it until I've read it but I keep trying to give it back! I hope it's not scandalous... but I guess if it is, I have a good reason to give it back! I also just read "Give Me a Break" by John Stossel. I love that man. I love his mustache. PS. We started our own blog. Very exciting.

Just Katy said...

I LOVE book recommendations. I'm working on White Teeth, Galapagos, and the Sot-Weed Factor but now I'm going to pick up Atonement next. The book I'm recommending to everyone right now is The Interpretor of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. Soo Beautiful. Have you read it? The Namesake is really good too (also by Lahiri)

Jamie said...

I disagree with your comments regarding slide already. I find it not only entertaining but also enlightening. In life we must all take risks and in the end we discover our internal passion. Slide already encourages us to push ourselves and light the fire within!
I would personally like to recommend it as our first book club book when we return to C-ville!

Sarah H said...

I'm actually reading American Women because Katy had recommended it to me a while ago. I consider myself a "non-reader" and I am enjoying it. I enjoy how it reads and that you can read small sections at a time.