
Over the weekend we went camping with the Allred's and my sister-in-law, Alicia, who was visiting from Utah. The women and kids went up to the Sequoias Thursday morning (4 women, 5 kids) and the men followed on Friday night. Thursday night after all the babies were sleeping soundly in their various tents, all the women realized that the men really weren't coming up and that we were on our own. The night that followed will always be a funny memory. I was sleeping alone in a tent with Aiden and probably spent the first two hours convincing myself that a bear was going to come and eat my child. It got to the point that my heart was beating fast and I could hear the blood rushing in my ears. The entire time I felt like I had a split personality- one that was terrified of nature and the other that recognized how completely irrational that was. Seriously, I've been camping before and I always like it. I even spent a couple summers in high school working at a camp where I slept in a tent for a month at a time. So I really shouldn't have been scared. But somehow having a baby has turned me into an irrational person. Luckily, Aiden started fussing in his pack-n-play, and since I didn't want him to wake up any of the other babies in camp I pulled him into my sleeping bag with me and I immediately fell asleep- only to wake up every 45 minutes when Aiden panicked because he had a sleeping bag on him. At 4 am, everybody in camp was awake so we all went to the bathroom and slept until 8 am. The next day we went on a little walk, napped, etc. We all slept surprisingly well the next night and made it out of the forest sufficiently filthy but with no serious injuries.
Doesn't that just make you want to pack your tent and go to the mountains?
Aiden and his cousin Blake spent a considerable amount of time in a playpen having ultimate fighting matches. Clearly Blake came our victorious most of the time.
My niece Kea had the ability to get remarkably dirty.
She is showing off her grimy hands to me.
Aiden playing on the picnic table.
My sister-in-law Laura and her son Blake- Aiden's nemesis and best friend. 
7 comments:
Awesome! Sounds like a wonderful camping trip and I am so glad you made it through the first night. Looks like Aiden could use some ultimate fighting lessons. :)
How fun! I love camping. We're going to King's Canyon in a few weeks and I can't wait! Was it pretty cold at night? Any recommendations on things we should not leave home without?
I can't imagine camping with Bree, at least right now. It would be so fun though. What kind of camera do you have? It takes great pictures!
Jess
I know that night time rush. Aaron and I were camping on the blue ridge and something very big and noisy came sniffing around the tent. While I was pondering just how gruesome my final moments were going to be, whether it was the claws or the teeth that I should hope for, Aaron started snoring. Maybe the noise bothered the bear as much as it usually bothers me because it lumbered away.
Awesome Pictures!
Yeah, what kind of camera do you use?
I use a Nikon D70s. It's a few years old but it does the job.
Post a Comment