Apr 23, 2012

Good Times


I spent the last couple Saturdays as a delegate at the county and state conventions for the Utah Democratic Party.   The utah system for nominating candidates is a little weird.  People meet at neighborhood caucuses and elect delegates.  Delegates go to convention and nominate candidates.  If the candidate doesn't get 60% of the delegates' votes, it goes to a general primary.  (which is what is what is going on with Hatch).   Here are a few of my thoughts about the experience:

- I found local politics much more palatable than politics on the national level.  It was great meeting the candidates.  They seemed like people wanting to help and make a diference rather than people wanting power and prestige.  I admit it was refreshing.
- I went to the LDS Caucus meeting (the largest caucus in the utah democratic party) during both conventions.  It was highly entertaining.  It seemed very much like an AA meeting.  "Hi, my name is Sarah.  I'm a Mormon.  And a democrat." Hilarious.  The caucus meetings give the candidates a chance to tailor their message to specific groups (education, health care, labor, women, LDS, etc.).  So it was interesting to hear the candidates' views about LDS involvement in the party and Utah politics in general.
- There are not a lot of pregnant, stay-at-home moms in the Utah democratic party.  I usually run in a crowd where spit-up on clothes is par for the course. It's a good thing I wore my freshly laundered clothes.
- It was so nice spending the day with adults.  Adults and my book.  There was a lot of downtime during voting and counting so I got a lot of time to read.  Politics, reading, adults.  My idea of a great day.
- It really was fun being involved and feeling like I made a difference.  Albeit a small one. But hey, we have to start somewhere.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I love that you are involved in the political process. You will be a great voice, and it is something that you can do for a long time and get more involved in. I am happy that you enjoyed yourself.

Amy McArthur said...

Sounds like my idea of a perfect day. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a democrat, but I generally keep my political views to myself so as not to estrange my southern mormon and therefore republican, friends. The only thing more inherently republican than being mormon is being southern. The combination makes for extremely passionate people. Cody and I usually reserve our liberal opinions for private conversations.